Tips and Ideas for Supporting Topline Through Nutrition-
It is important to adjust equine nutrition according to the needs of each individual horse. Most commercial grains and even some equine nutritionists will recommend a diet based on a cookie-cutter system. For optimal horse health, it’s ideal to create an equine nutritional plan specific and individualized looking into not only age and workload but also unique needs or even system susceptibility.
- What does the horse struggle with? It is my experience working with horse owners, that each horse has a weak or more susceptible area or system of the body that should be supported more for that individual. Examples:
- Bone or Joint
- Ligament or Tendon
- Where is the horse’s lifestyle out of balance? When assessed with the 8 Laws of Health, where can you improve the health of the horse through lifestyle?
- Are there signs of inflammation or immune weakness? Supporting the immune system and digestion is necessary for many of our domestic horses. We often keep them in environments that are not natural to them and add continual stresses to their systems.
Clean up Your Equine Nutrition
Almost all clients I work with there are changes that I recommend in the nutrition. It seems we have been taught the longer the ingredient list, the more nutritious and complete the grain or supplement is. In reality, the more full of cheap fillers, toxic additives, and synthetics it is. Look for short, simple, clean labels. You can read more into clean nutrition in our post Selecting More Natural Horse Nutrition.
Once your base grain is clean and as organic as possible, then you begin to build a nutritional plan based on the weaknesses we discussed in the beginning, added with the support needed for the training or stress that the horse will be enduring. Specifically for topline, I would suggest prebiotic, probiotics, and digestive enzyme support, colostrum, trace mineral, and joint and tendon support. For more details on specific recommendations check out the links below:
- The Three Amigos of Equine Digestive Health
- Promoting Horse Tendon Health
- Understanding the Benefits of a Trace Mineral Supplement for Horses
- Equine Nutritional Benefits of BeneCell™
Mission to Promote Natural Horse Health
You can get started on supporting your horse to vibrant health right now, by grabbing your copy of my book Healthy as a Horse and discover the forgotten framework of care that can transform your horse’s health. Click here to reserve your copy now.
I hope you found value in this post. Please share via your favorite social media page to help us on our mission to promote horse health and wellness. You will find share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Life is better when you’re horsin’ around!