Horse Training Tips and How to Ride with Confidence
Are you ready for some horse training tips from someone who it doesn’t always come naturally to? Someone who knows what it feels like to question personal abilities regardless of experience. In my free audio series, I share how confident I was with horses as a kid, and how suddenly an intense fear crept in and started to smother and wither my passion and dream with horses.
These horse training tips may not seem like traditional methods or technique based tips but I believe that mindset and emotional balance in both the horse and rider are often overlooked and cause issues further down the road. Utilize the horsemanship tips below to ride with confidence and achieve your goals and ambitions with your horse.
Horsemanship is a Mental, Emotional, and Physical Game
I know many successful horse trainers and professionals went through times of uncertainty, struggle, and frustration. The difference between those who succeed and those who don’t is the persistence, consistency, and choice to keep moving forward.
Your thoughts become your beliefs, your beliefs influence your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, actions, and reality. This is true in many aspects of life and that includes your horsemanship! If you believe and think horses are dangerous, you are too old, and you can’t; you are correct and those beliefs and thoughts will manifest themselves into your horsemanship!
Are you ready to overcome the obstacles that stand in the way of your horsemanship ambitions?
Tips for Improving Your Horsemanship and Achieving Your Goals and Dreams with Your Horse
- Self-awareness – Remaining in the moment and being aware of your state – physical, mental, and emotional. Your horse is a mirror and will reflect back to you what is truth and reality. Have you ever seen a horse behave drastically different depending on who is handling or riding him? I am certain you have! This is due to the horse being a mirror of your state and current knowledge.
- Law of Averages – If you have done any coaching or self-improvement study you have heard of the law of averages. In your horsemanship the same concept is true. Who are you riding with and learning from? If you become the average of the 5 people you ride with and study from the most, would you be content or disappointed?
- Circle of Life – How are the other areas of your life; your friends, family, home, health, work environment, and relationships? Going back to a horse being your mirror, if one or more areas are at risk or negative, it will seep into your horsemanship in one way or another.
You Must Open the Door of Your Heart & Mind to Ride with Confidence
- Open Your Mind – It is imperative that your mind is open to various things for your horsemanship to improve and if you want to ride with confidence. You must remain open to your horse’s needs mentally, emotionally, and physically. Both in a general sense and in a session to session sense. Secondly remain open to opinions and information that can help you improve, preferably from sources that are headed the same direction as you or are where you want to be.
- Open Your Heart – “Horses don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” ~ Pat Parelli. Sometimes the horse owners I work with have blocked their hearts and emotions from their horsemanship. The reasoning behind this varies from person to person, but it is important to open your heart in conjunction with your mind. Then your instinct, timing, feel, and intuition can grow, which will increase not only connection and bond but results as well!
Start implementing the tips above and start seeing progress in your training sessions and ride with confidence! It is our mission here at Equine Essential Wellness to help you promote your horse’s health naturally. We believe your horse connection and the emotions of your horse has an impact on their overall well being. If you want to take your horse’s health and your horsemanship journey to the next level, we invite you to grab your copy of my book Healthy as a Horse and discover the forgotten framework of care that can transform your horse’s health. Click here to reserve your copy now.
I hope you found value in this post. Please share via your favorite social media page to help us on our mission to promote horse health and wellness. You will find share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Life is better when you’re horsin’ around!