Some Basic Tips and Suggestions for using Essential Oils with Your Horse-
One of the biggest things that holds horse owners back from using essential oils with their horse is lack of certainty on essential oil application. Where and how to use or where not to… if you are using therapeutic, quality essential oils there really isn’t much you need to “fear.” Here are what I would consider to be the biggest don’ts of essential oils with horses.
- ×Do not apply to sensitive areas such as eyes, nose, and ears.
- ×Do not use essential oils in ways other than described on the label.
- × If you decide to offer in water, do not put it in the horse’s sole water source. If they avoid the water because of the oils, it can become a cause of major health concern and dehydration.
Since I like balancing negative and positive focus, let’s add some of the best “do’s” of essential oils with your horse!
- +Do offer them politely to the horse to smell. Think of it as an introduction.
- +Do remember horses are very sensitive and can smell them from a distance.
- +Do allow for process time between each oil offered.
- +Do respect, honor, and listen to the horse.
Most Common Essential Oil Application Options for Your Horse
- Topical- applied to the horse’s hair either NEAT or diluted with a natural carrier oil of your choice. Just avoid petroleum-derived oils or synthetic gels.
- Inhalation/Aroma- Your horse’s hair makes a great natural diffuser, but if you’re not wanting to apply topically you can allow the horse to smell the open bottle as an application.
- Dietary- Adding 1-3 drops to a clean grain ration or cookie, or a bucket of water beside their sole hydration source.
Keep is Simple and Fun!
Natural horse care is something I am passionate about and love doing and teaching. I think the biggest roadblock for people is they make it more complex and complicated than it needs to be. If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong!
To be successful in improving your horse’s health it’s crucial to put your focus on establishing a solid foundation of health.
If your horse isn’t greeting you at the gate, is resistant or dull to your cues, or is experiencing negative health conditions… It isn’t your fault. And contrary to what some vets and equine professionals might lead you to believe, it certainly isn’t normal!
It’s time revolutionize the way you think about and approach your horse’s care and lifestyle; equipping you with the tools and information you need to optimize your horse’s performance, reinvigorating their zest for life, and accessing the “horseplay” and exuberance they are naturally known for.
Discover the forgotten framework of care that will transform your horse’s health! Grab your copy of my book Healthy as a Horse, Click here to reserve your copy now.
I hope you found value in this post. Please share via your favorite social media page to help us on our mission to promote horse health and wellness. You will find share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Life is better when you’re horsin’ around!