Here are 8 Things to Check if Your Horse is Struggling with Developing a Strong Topline-
Topline is crucial to overall horse health and longevity. We compiled a quick list of things to review and assess when your horse is struggling with their topline development:
- Possible pain or health concerns – Palpate the horse and look for signs of concern. Think of having an equine bodywork practitioner and veterinarian look for signs of concern.
- Adequate and clean (organic, free of synthetics) nutrition – Nutrition must be in balance for a horse to maintain strength and vitality throughout the body.
- Balanced and appropriate equine fitness program – As we shared in our post Well Rounded Equine Fitness, the topline is a result of overall equine fitness.
- Improper tack fit, particularly the saddle – If the saddle is too narrow or even too wide it could be blocking the horse from being able to engage and move with proper biomechanics.
- Rider biomechanics and balance – if the rider is imbalanced or using improper biomechanics in the saddle this could cause a mirrored effect in the horse.
- Resting posture and self-carriage – if the horse stands with poor posture in the pasture or corral it will have a negative impact on the topline and even other aspects of horse health.
- Tension patterns – Watch for both tension and relaxation patterns in the horse. Once you become aware of the patterns and causes, try to increase the relaxation patterns and reduce tension and brace.
- Emotional and Mental Fitness – Sometimes horses have been progressed too quickly for their mental and emotional fitness. Physical equine fitness is not the only fitness to gauge and monitor in a horse’s fitness plan.
Start with the Foundation of Your Horse’s Health-
Tired of your horse not greeting you at the gate? Are you looking to reduce and relieve the suffering and discomfort they experience, day in and day out? If you’re looking to get your horse feeling their absolute best… You’ll want to grab your copy of my book Healthy as a Horse and discover the forgotten framework of care that can transform your horse’s health. Click here to reserve your copy now.
I hope you found value in this post. Please share via your favorite social media page to help us on our mission to promote horse health and wellness. You will find share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Life is better when you’re horsin’ around!